List Of Programmes
Nigeria - SONCAP
Scope of Duties
- SON CONFORMITY ASSESSMENT PROGRAMME (SONCAP): Appointment by the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) for the pre-export verification of conformity of imported products to the applicable Nigerian Industrial Standards (NIS), approved equivalent standards and national deviations.
- Groups of Products concerned by this programme (including but not limited to): I- Chemical products, II- Textile and textile products, III- Foot wear, IV- Toys and child care products, V- Electrical (including Electrical Fittings) and Electronics products, VI- Mechanical products, VII- LPG cylinders and accessories for gas & kerosene stoves, VIII- Others (Hurricane Lamps, Mortice Locks, Nails Hand Tools, Bicycle, Auto spares Shock absorbers, Fan Belts, Safety Belts, Brake pads, Spark Plugs…)
- SONCAP requires two mandatory processes of verification:
1- Product certification : Product certificate 1 (PC1) for Unregistered Status or Product certificate 2 (PC2) for Registered Status or Product certificate 3(PC3) for Licensed Status.
2- SONCAP certification : SONCAP certificate (SC)
The above certificates are mandatory for importation and Customs clearance of SONCAP regulated products under the import requirements of the the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- Improve quality of products through compliance with the NIS or approved standards prior to export to Nigeria
- Protect consumers against dangerous, sub-standard or counterfeit products
- Protect domestic industry from unfair competition of poor quality imports
- Ease trade operations by recognizing existing conformity proof to avoid unnecessary re-testing